26 May 2008

Bom Bom Brazil!




I recently played in Sao Paulo, my first time in Brazil, and it was de Bom! (good in portuguese). The climate was colder than London, since it was the first week we really felt Summer here at the beginning of May, but the first signs of Winter in Brazil. So like a silly tourist I didn't bring enough warm clothes thinking I was going to the tropics (a good excuse to retreat to the hotel sauna most days, I LOVE saunas). But the Sao Paulo that I experienced was not really that classic cliche of thong bikini's and fruity Carmen Mirandas, but a sprawling cosmopolitan metropolis of over 11 million people. Hence, a fantastic fashion-music-art-nightlife scene. The club I played was Clube Gloria. All of it's interior walls were covered ceiling high mirrors which cast a dream-like sense of space and light. The crowd was mixed-up, fixed-up, and looking sharp, but in a not-trying-hard-way (which is the best way innit!?). My lovely hosts were resident DJ/promoter, the truly brilliant, Barbie Da Silva who warmed us up with some welcoming eclectic electro, staying true to the best warm-up form, and the fabulous Fernando from Smartbiz DJ agency in Brazil. Although I was in a jello-y jet-lagged state for most of it, I had a truly, truly, truly outrageous trip. I'm going back to Brazil!

xxJ

A link to a live an exclusive DJ mix and interview on the Smartbiz Radio show in Sao Paulo (in English).


A link to an interview I did for Rraul a Brazilian music webzine (in Portuguese).

No comments: