21 Aug 2008

Ruled By Mercury



PLEASE LEAVE NOW IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS SONG

If you don't already know (I'm a bit late to learn, as I don't think there were any promos sent out on this one) this is Bloc Party's new single Mercury. I saw it last night and was absolutely mesmerized. I'd like to declare this my new Favorite song....but it's more that that, it has entered into my bloodstream, my cells are vibrating this song and it's video. You know when a track just connects like a strong slap, it's like an old leather jacket that fits perfectly. The track makes me excited. Period...... I'm a fan of this on so many levels: the chorus is a direct reference to an Astrological transit, and I'm a secret astro-believer. The brass section in this is so what I'm loving right now too, that's why it's the only instrument I choose to use in my Man Like Me Remix, although theirs is live not sampled, which has it's own brilliant chaotic shapes. And no, it's not dance music, in a conventional club format, (because this blog is not limited to genres, neither are my my tastes). But it does have a lot of electronic dance production techniques, and one that I've been loving for while, which is manipulating vocals in a sampler. Kelly's vocal sounds brilliant on this anyways, but the stuttered looped vocal effect in the chorus is so fucking fresh. And I guess it's the menacing bottom end that really gets me, it's almost drum and bass and definatly techno.....or maybe it's the mad percussion....yes, I almost forgot they have the most amazing drummer.....but it's the video too. The surrealsim, the cow with the lobster-claw that takes over the world, the conven of evil monkeys that orchestrate it. What does it mean? It's not just beacause I'm a massive Mighty Boosh fan, but I've always been attracted to surrealism, whether it means running around playing dress-up or contemplating Dali.....I'm sure they'll be another post on this topic............but I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. I think it's an gutsy creative turn for Block Party and possibly the best thing they've done.

There is also a Herve Remix on the single which is out now, which will undoubtedly destroy the dancefloor......

No comments: